Friday, October 31, 2014

Reflection for Sunday November 2, Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls); John 14:1-6

Gospel: John 14:1-6
Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. 2 In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? 3 * And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. 4 Where [I] am going you know the way. 5 Thomas said to him, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth* and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
Today we remember all of our loved ones who've gone to the great beyond. We do this in many ways: By visiting them where they rest now, by offering prayers for the eternal repose of their souls and by recalling their countless acts of goodness.

It’s hard to forget the memories and we often get emotional when we remember them. But this is our life; someday somehow we would be also going through the process of sickness, hospitalization and eventually the inevitable which is our death.

Perhaps many of us may lose sleep by mere mention of death, we don’t want to die at this point because we are not yet prepared. But who is prepared to die? Nobody, we are not prepared to die or we are afraid to die because we are all sinners otherwise if we are clean we would not be afraid to die anytime.

Nevertheless, Jesus is telling us in our gospel not to be troubled. For as long as we have faith in Him we would be OK. Because our faith in Jesus is more than enough to conquer our fear of death.

In this day of remembrance for our departed love ones we are encouraged to continue to pray for their souls. We must also continue to strengthen our faith in Jesus because if we have faith we lack nothing and we fear nothing even death.

Jesus Himself assures us with these words: Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places (John 14:1-2). - Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: