Thursday, March 26, 2015

Reflection for March 26, Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent; John 8:51-59

Gospel: John 8:51-59
Jesus said to the Jews: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” So the Jews said to him, “Now we are sure that you are possessed. Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death. Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? Or the prophets, who died? Who do you make yourself out to be?” Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ You do not know him, but I know him. And if I should say that I do not know him, I would be like you a liar. But I do know him and I keep his word. Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad.  So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham? Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM. So they picked up stones to throw at him. but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
How would you feel if a religious leader would tell you this, if you follow me you will never die. You will not believe this leader of course for the simple reason that this is not true. Jesus in the gospel tells us that anyone of us who will keep His word will never see death.  

What is this death that the Lord is speaking about?  Obviously this doesn’t pertain to physical death for we all will die. The death that Jesus is alluding to is the death in the spirit. We are taught by our faith that when we die our mortal remains will decay. And we are also taught that if we have a close and personal relationship with Jesus our spirit will continue to live for it does not die along with our mortal death. 
No one of us has been to the afterlife but this one is true: We will not be afraid to pass through physical death if we are close to Jesus and if we have a personal relationship with Him. Because we know that everlasting life would only come after our mortal death, mortal death is our launching pad to eternal life. But we have to believe first in Jesus and we have to have a personal relationship with Him for us not to experience spiritual death.  

The Jews in our gospel were critics of Jesus and as such they do not believe in Jesus much less have a personal relationship with Him. This is the reason why they (Jews) were not able to understand Jesus when He said: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death (John 8:51).” 

Do we strive to have a personal relationship with Jesus? - Marino J. Dasmarinas 

No comments: