Saturday, November 21, 2015

1Reflection for Sunday November 22, Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe; John 18:33b-37

Gospel: John 18:33b-37
Pilate said to Jesus, "Are you the King of the Jews?" Jesus answered, "Do you say this on your own or have others told you about me?" Pilate answered, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?" Jesus answered, "My kingdom does not belong to this world. If my kingdom did belong to this world, my attendants would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not here." So Pilate said to him, "Then you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say I am a king. For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
An ambitious man wanted to be the king of his self-created world. So, he studied very well and after hurdling his studies he created a business that became very financially successful. He soon after achieved his dream of becoming the king of his world. For he could already do and buy whatever he wants yet there was still a deep emptiness in his life.

If we continue to aspire to become the king of our own self-created world there would still be emptiness. No matter how successful even powerful we become, we would still be longing for that something that will complete us.

Today is the Solemnity of our Lord Jesus Christ King of the Universe. This Kingship of Jesus  is the only Kingship that can satisfy our deepest longing. Because when we decide to embrace His Kingship we are already complete and there surely will be no more emptiness.

We will not anymore be chasing whatever this world will dangle in-front of us. But the great paradox of the Kingship of Jesus is it’s not based on anything of this world. Jesus Kingship is something which is not seen yet we can deeply feel it satisfying our deepest longing.

In the gospel, when Jesus was asked by Pilate if He is the King of the Jews (John 18:33b). Jesus did not deny His Kingship but He told Pilate, “My kingdom does not belong to this world (John 18:36).

Indeed, Jesus’ Kingship doesn’t belong to this world because His Kingship is in contradiction with worldly kingship. This is for the reason that Jesus chose to serve rather than be served, He chose humility over arrogance. He chose to obey the will of God to die on the cross rather than protect His life.

If we choose humility over arrogance, if we choose to serve rather than be served and if we choose to give our life so that others may live. We are already near the Kingdom of Christ our King. – Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: